It’s April, the month of Earth Day, and time for some beautiful spring weather.
So many people are overwhelmed by stress. Here are some quick, easy, effective and FREE ways to allow nature to help you heal and deal with your emotional and physical aches and pains. They might sound silly, but release all judgement. You can immediately benefit from them too!
- Walk barefoot outside. Kick off those shoes and socks! Liberate those feet! Walk on the grass. Feel the ground solid under your feet and grass between your toes. Allow your feelings of anxiety or stress release through your feet into the ground. You actually don’t even have to think about it. Carefully walk around barefoot on the grass and the Earth will take care of the rest!
- Hug a tree. Seriously!! Stop laughing! Trees are a tremendous source of life energy. When you hug a tree, you’re connecting your heart to that beautiful living being that will heal you at that heart level. If hugging a tree feels too strange or sounds too much like a bumper sticker from the 1970s, casually lean your back against the tree for the same support and healing effect. You don’t have to do or say a thing, just allow the tree to support you and transmute negative or heavy emotions are coming up. I get a buzzing feeling in my body when I stand against a tree. It’s different for everyone, but know that it’s working!
- Put your phone away. While sitting outside (with your bare feet in the grass, of course!), notice with fresh eyes 5 beautiful things you wouldn’t have otherwise – butterflies, flowers, clouds, children playing, birds, trees… Be present in the moment. Paying attention to the present moment like this is also an antidote to stress. When we are present in the moment, we’re less likely to be regretting the past or worrying about the future. We are here now, feeling joy and contentment. This is instant happiness, if you allow it. No drugs necessary!
- Spend 10 minutes in the sun. Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that our bodies need but doesn’t produce. Most people are vitamin D deficient. We receive vitamin D from the sun. While many of us take vitamin D supplements, especially during the winter months. our bodies can receive an effective dose of D from as little as 10 minutes outside in the sun. Remember too that the sun is a mood booster…less expensive than any Starbucks’s Caramel Frappuccino and healthier for you too!
- Take a nap in the grass. Similar to hugging a tree or walking barefoot in the grass, taking a nap in the grass gives you all the benefits of healing on Mother Earth. All you have to do is rest and be supported (and watch out for ant piles!) What could be better than kicking off your shoes and dozing off in the grass on a beautiful afternoon? Knowing that the earth is taking care of you in that moment too.
It’s no mystery that ancient cultures had close connections to the earth and deeply understood how the earth supported life. Even though modern technology and conveniences have made us less dependent on the earth for our day-to-day needs, there is still much we can gain from ditching machines for a moment and getting back to nature!